Back to School Lunch Ideas
From wrapping Christmas presents to wrapping school books, it’s back to school.
If you’ve been running around with a stationery list, searching high and low for, socks, blazers and boots, one of the most important aspects of your childs’ day that often becomes an afterthought is the magic break time.
Do you keep the PB & J coming, turning your childs’ lunch into a low trade option, often ending up as a late lunch for the family pet?
We’ve curated a list of awesome, healthy and affordable lunch ideas to ensure that your lunch box filling skills are a hit both on and off the playground.
Fun Lunch for Back to School
- Wholewheat Bread
- Sliced Cheddar Cheese
- Sliced Apples
- A Waffle Iron/Sandwich Press
- Other healthy snacks your child loves
- Place a slice of bread in the centre of the waffle iron/sandwich press.
- Add sliced cheese and apples to the bread.
- Place the 2nd slice of bread sandwiching the cheese and apple.
- Brown the sandwich to the texture of your child’s liking.
- Place in lunchbox and add healthy snacks
Two Tone Sandwiches
- 2x Cookie Cutters (1x large cutter that fits inside a slice of bread and 1x small cutter that fits inside the large cutter)
- 1x Slice Wholewheat Brown Bread
- 1x Slice Wholegrain White Bread
- Place 2 slices of bread on a bread board/cutting surface.
- Use the large cutter to cut the shape out of both slices.
- Use the small cutter to cut the centre of both shapes.
- Alternatively, cut out one shape from each slice.
- Swap the larger cutouts, so that the brown bread has the large white bread and the white has the brown or simply swap the large one that you cut out.
- Make an awesome Two Tone sandwich.
Protein Power Sandwiches
- Bread of your choice
- Cream Cheese
- Sliced Smoked Ham/Chicken
- Spread with soft butter and your childs’ favorite filling.
- Remove crusts if necessary
- Place in an airtight lunchbox as the ingredients are prone to dehydration.
Consider swapping out sugar-laden juices for Rooibos iced tea. Your kids will love it.